Monday, March 21, 2011

Easy Spice Pudding

I was hunting around my now getting barren kitchen.....wanting some type of dessert after a meal of bacon wrapped hot-dogs (thick slice) and some shells and cheese, the kind with the already creamy cheese...oh ya...the best.

You have to know when to use the awesome pre-packaged stuff and what types are actually good....

I seemed to be an ingredient or two short for each recipe I found (need to go get eggs) so I ran across a few pudding recipes.

NOTE: There is a list of basic ingredients that every kitchen, great and small (or shoe-box size like mine) should have. It lets you have the ability to make most anything anytime. That list I am putting together.

I have never tried to make pudding before, and through common sense found a suitable base recipe.

I added the spices a little at a time until it tasted just right.

This turned out a hit and makes a wonderful base (without the spices) for you to make any flavor you wish.


Spice Pudding

½ cup brown sugar (or white, I use brown for the more rich taste)
5 T cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 ½ cups half and half (or milk)
1 T maple syrup
2 t vanilla extract
1 t allspice

NOTE: have all ingredients poured out and waiting, as this recipe you do not have time to be measuring things out. I eye ball my vanilla, but especially my maple syrup.

Mix together brown sugar, corn starch and salt in medium sized saucepan then put on medium. Slowly pour the half and half (or milk) into the pan, whisking all the time so it does not have lumps.




Continue to mix until sauce starts to thicken. Be patient as this will take a minute. (this is the only pic I was able to salvage, the other one got lost in cyber space somehow)

When sauce starts to thicken, turn down burner to very low and whisk constantly for about 7 minutes, letting it become pudding and then still continue to stir.

Add spices and stir in for another couple minutes.

Serve warm (my favorite) or cold. It makes an awesome pudding for fillings as well.

For vanilla pudding, try white sugar and just vanilla extract.

For chocolate, use white sugar and add an additional 5 T of cocoa powder.

Let me know if you try this and how it turned out! Also let me know any variations you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment